Urquhart Castle held out for David II in 1333
against Edward Balliiol and Edward III of England.
It was captured in 1437 by the Earl of Ross, but
in 1476 was given to the Gordon Earl of Huntly.
In 1509 James IV gave the castle to John Grant
out against the Jacobites in 1689 but was
dismantled in 1691 to prevent further use.
Urquhart's foundations date from the 13th
century and the tower house, from the
16th century. To prevent the castle from falling
into the of the Jacobites, it was demolished by
government troops in 1692.
New!! See the Embossed photo
Overlooking the shoreline on the
Firth of Clyde, Greenan is a ruined
16th century tower house. The property
passed from the Davidsons to the Kennedys
in 1588. In 1602, Sir Thomas of Kennedy
of Culzean, spent his last night here before being
murdered by Mure of Auchendrane. The
castle has been suggested as the site for
tower house, but the views from the top
are worth the climb alone!
The property of the Pringle family from
1408, they were the squires of the
Black Douglas family . David Pringle was
killed along with his 4 sons at the Battle
of Flodden field in 1513.
The tower was abandoned about 1700 for
nearby Sandyknowe. Walter Scott came here
as a boy as his grandfather held Sandyknowe.