In the northwest Highlands, along the shore of Loch Assynt, is found
the remains of Ardvreck Castle. It is thought to have been
built in 1591 by the Macleods, who have owned Assynt
since the 13th century.
|Ardvreck Castle View
Ardvreck was destroyed by fire in the 1850s'. It was
owned by the MacKenzies at the time of the fire.
built in the 12th century, the rest was added and
restored starting in 1606. It is currently the seat of
the Clan MacKenzie chief, however it originally
belonged to the chief of the Clan MacLeod of Lewis
From the Late Middle Ages the castle was a stronghold of
the Earls of Mar.The first tower of Braemar Castle was
constructed in 1628 by John Erskine, as a hunting lodge
and to counter the rising power of the Farquharsons.
In 1715 the castle was burned by royal troops and subsequently
the estate was forfeit by the Earls of Mar. The castle and
lands were purchased by John Farquharson,
Located in Aberdeenshire,