The Abbey was founded in 1273 by Lady
Devorgilla of Galloway in memory of her
late husband, John Balliol. After his death
in 1269, Devorgilla had her husband's heart
bound with silver.
See this photograph Embossed!
Click on the deer
When she herself died,
in 1289 at the age of 80, the casket was
buried with her in the abbey, which is how
Sweetheart Abbey was named.
She is buried in front of the high alter.
One of the many arches at Sweetheart
Abbey, taken during sunset.
The Chapel was built in the 1400's.
When the master mason was away in
Rome getting new ideas to carve this
exquisite piece of stone, his apprentice had
a dream, that showed him how the stone
was to be carved. So, he did. He thought his
master would be pleased to see how well he
performed. Unfortunately, his master flew into
a rage of jealousy and killed him on the spot!
Now in the book "the Da Vinci Code"