The largest and best preserved of the O'Mahony
Castles on the Mizen Peninsula. The castle is situated
on the southern side of Dunmanus Bay. Supposedly
constructed in 1438 by Donogh More O'Mahony.
The O'Mahony Castle has 6 flanking towers
and a dungeon below the ground floor.
Carrigaphooca means Castle on the Rock of the Fairy;
The Castle is a ruined five story rectangular tower
house, situated on a steep sided rock that is
perched overlooking the Sullane River.
This tall tower house commands truly panoramic
views of the surrounding landscape.
Carrigaphooca was built in 1436, reputedly by
The MacCarthys of Carrigaphooca were constantly
engaged in internecine warfare. They sided with the
Crown in 1602 and their stronghold was consequently
attacked by Donal Cam O'Sullivan Beare. After a difficult
siege the huge wooden door of the castle burned down.
The garrison was set free and O'Sullivan Beare retrieved
a chest of Spanish gold he had presented to the
MacCarthys some months earlier in return for their
support against the English. The castle
was subsequently owned by the MacCarthys
of Drishane until forfeited in 1690.