The blackened shell of what was once
the largest fortress on the Peninsula,
over looks Dingle Bay. Once the stronghold
of the Knights of Kerry, it was built
in the early 16th century and was
destroyed by Cromwellian troops
in 1650. Located in Co. Kerry.
Located on a promontory near Kinvarra
Bay, Dunguaire Castle was built in
the 16th century. The Castle is named
after the 7th century King Guaire
of Connaught, whose court here was
renowned as the haunt of bards and
balladeers. Located in Co. Galway.
Kilkenny Castle was originally built by William Marshal in
1204. The castle came into the possession of the
Butlers in the early 1400's. And was remodeled as
a Restoration Mansion by James Butler, Duke of
Ormond in the 1660's. Abandoned in the 1930's, and
taken over by the state in 1969, Kilkenny is now open
to the public all year around. Located in Co. Kilkenny.
and thick walls of a serious castle of the early 1200's.
But most of what you see today is rebuilding and
restoration. Though the present buildings still
follow the pattern of the original castle built
here in about 1204 by William Marshall.