relatives of the builders of Bunratty Castle.
It is one of the best preserved franciscan
friaries in Ireland.
The friary was built on top of a castle, which
previously stood on this site.
Located in Co. Clare
Standing in graceful isolation, among acres of
river meadows is the impressive ruin of
the largest Franciscan Friary in Ireland.
It was founded in 1498, and was one
of the last abbeys built before the
Reformation. The roof was stripped
away by Cromwell and his army,
as they terrorized the countryside.
Rising dramatically from the Tipperary plain,
the "Rock" was a symbol of power for more
than a millennium. From the 5th Century on
it was home of the Kings of Munster.
It was handed over to the church in 1101.
Sieged by a Cromwellian army in 1647,
and abandoned in in the late 18th century,
the Rock of Cashel is still a view to
behold. Located in Co. Tipperary